Tuesday 25 June 2013

This REALLY did happen to me!! PART-III

So while I was unaware of the on goings happening without my knowledge, I busied myself in starting the washing machine and starting to prepare lunch. I placed the cooker and waited for the rice and dal placed within to get done. Meanwhile, I chopped the veggies and dint care how big or small the pieces ended up, I dint have the time to bother about such mundane things, any longer. I placed a pan on the gas and added the required ingredients and made sure this time I dint forget to add the salt, left the curry to get done, and started hanging  the clothes which got washed in the mean time, outside (A big thanks to whoever invented the washing machine! Phew!).

All that done, I got back inside and went to the kitchen, only to discover a burning smell coming from inside! I was in for a shock to discover that I had left the flame turned FULL ON, and the curry which I had made such a huge effort in preparing, had got burnt! God! Did all cooking disasters have to happen on the same day?!



 But I really dint have time to ruminate on how fair God was, and started the whole task again, with just half an hour to 1 o’clock- the deadline for the lunch to be ready at my home! Damn you rules! :P Finally, managing to make an un-burnt curry this time, I just barely made it in time to serve lunch right in time. This time at least, I made sure to taste what I had prepared, and only served it after I was satisfied, and got genuine appreciation from the family on being able to cook a good meal. I was really happy, for I had put in a lot of effort in it. Now came the time to face the huge pile of utensils to be cleaned. Why did we have to eat off steel plates? Weren't disposables the best alternative, any day?! Did I forget to mention, that in the middle of all this, I had to answer calls from aunts who called up to inquire on the health of my family, and also made sure that they’d drop by in the evening to personally visit them. Gujju aunts! After getting through with the huge mountain of vessels, now came the time for folding and stacking the dried clothes. After finishing that, I realized it was nearly 4:30, and time to serve the evening tea. Meanwhile, my siblings got back home from school, and my bro immediately settled in front of the TV. I decided that the little guy had behaved well enough and had earned himself the right to watch unlimited TV and exemption from his homework (which I wouldn't have to bother an explanation for, as it would conveniently be handled by my mom when she would be back to normal), as long as he dint come in my way for the rest of the evening. Come evening, and come my concerned aunts, whom I was supposed to offer tea and snacks as basic courtesy. I could see this ending up as myself cleaning up a lot of chinaware in the nearest future (Sigh again!).


2 comments:

  1. loved your narration. I can relate to your kitchen disasters. been there done that, A LOT :D keep up writing khats :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, girl! Yeah, those days were definitely a memory to I'm not exactly sure to put it in as "cherish" or not, but anyway, will be etched forever! :P

      Delete